Sunday, February 1, 2009

Housing

Where have I been?!?!!? I know! Well, I moved into a new place and I haven't set up internet yet. But really, that's not a good excuse since I can get to Blogger at work too. But let me distract you from my blogging laziness by telling you about my new place!


Well, the University Heights deal completely fell through. Really, it was a slow unravel that was slightly protracted by my real estate agent's unflagging optimism. But my mortgage application was rejected after the HOA documents were received and the complex was, in a word, a mess. No budget, no reserve fund, and half the units were likely going to be placed on firesale since the developers are going bankrupt. So, even though it was a cute place and really well-designed, I think everything worked out for the best.



BUT. I had no place to live for 6 days. I moved out of my old place on the 9th, went to SF until the 11th. Then I had no place to live and I still hadn't heard yes/no. I really felt like a moron. How could I be a gainfully employed working professional and be of no fixed address?



So, I lived in the BOQ for a few days and then cat-sat for the weekend for my co-PGY2 who went up to Monterey with his wife. By cat-sitting, I had a place to live, hooray! But by Friday of that week I was set. Once again, I love Craigslist! I had been perusing the ads all week and Friday morning, found a little text only ad for a basement "in-law" flat with its own separate entrance. Although text only should raise a slight flag, I had a feeling that it may have been from someone not completely technically savvy but still pretty cool. And he was! I am renting a small apartment in the basement of a really nice house on the border of Banker's Hill and Hillcrest. It's completely finished and has a full kitchen. It's beautifully designed so it looks huge. Best of all, I have a private deck that overlooks an undeveloped canyon. I already bought my table, bench and chairs to take advantage of the awesome view.



Now, I just need my stuff delivered! I have an appt Tuesday to arrange for a delivery date, which probably won't be until early March since a portion of my belongings are still in Ft. Belvoir storage. Whatever. I've been without it this long so it's no big deal. It'll be like Christmas when everything is delivered though!

No comments:

Post a Comment