Thursday, March 11, 2010

Amazing Read!

I just finished "Stones Into Schools." It was amazing. I read it in 24 hours and was so inspired. The fact that one man can start a movement that ends up larger than himself and empower so many people who have the most at stake in their own home country is amazing.

I resisted reading "Three Cups of Tea" for the longest time. Oprah + book clubs + a really bad experience with "Eat, Pray, Love" (hate that book) left me wary of memoir/movement/be a better person type of writing. I ended up really liking it and being inspired, although I often wondered how his wife did it. Not in a disparaging way because I completely understand what it's like to date someone who's so often so far away. But rather, due to residency and the Navy, I have no concept of what it's like to have a job where you can be a single parent and make it work, which she seems to have done admirably well. [Aside: there are definitely single parents who make it work in medicine and in the military and I am in complete awe.]

This book, though, was unbelievable. Life can be such a coin toss and so poised on the brink of incredible joy and unmitigated disaster. But the perseverance, perspective and strength of the Afghan and Pakistani people took my breath away. I devoured the book. In this recommendation, I don't want to give a synopsis or parse the message. Read the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment