Saturday, September 8, 2012


Wedding weekend
This past weekend was awesome!  It got off to an early start thanks to 5th Friday where the residents and staff hung out on Dr. Johnson’s boat at the Kona Kai on Shelter Island.  It was a gorgeous day and so fun to hang out and grill.  I definitely overbought on the food but everyone had the best time.  The med students who were out with us definitely want to do their residency here:o)  Fifth Friday also capped off a pretty mellow week at work where I got out fairly early and was able to get a great haircut and find a good brows place.  
Bridesmaid!


I love my new haircut.  I went for bangs and the texture and look is a huge change but in a great way.  I liked my old hairstyle but wanted to do something really new but I had always thought that meant a drastic length change.  Not with Audrey!  I will not go to anyone else, well at least for the next 10 months while I’m still in San Diego!

Later Friday night, Mechen and I went to the airport to fly to Pensacola for my brother’s wedding.  We arrived Saturday morning and I headed straight to the nail salon for a mani-pedi, courtesy of the bride!  Yay!  I was one of the two bridesmaids and it was such a treat to be included!  Brady was the other bridesmaid and it was so fun to be twinnies with her this past weekend.  We had the same dress, which Nicole had found and it looked really good.  We both got our nails painted red and then headed out to the beach.  Not always the best thing to do after getting nails done, but mine held up and it was way worth it.  Pensacola beach is GORGEOUS, with some of the finest, beautiful sand on wide beaches.  The water was warm and even had waves, likely leftover from Hurricaine Isaac.  

That night, we had the rehersal then dinner at the Oar House, which was awesome.  Peel ‘n’ eat shrimp, hush puppies, fish, beer and wine.  Yum!  The company was great and I loved catching up with my Grandpa and Dusty as well as my aunts and uncles on my Dad’s side.  It is such a fun group and we continued the party at the Pensacola Brew House.  

The next day, we woke up for a delicious, much-needed breakfast and started to get ready.  Everyone looked great even though both the groom and the bride were really late to the wedding (35 minutes, which I think felt WAY longer).  Fortunately, everyone’s spirits were high and the church was air-conditioned so no one was too stressed, apart from the chaplain and Nicole’s Mom.

The wedding was beautiful and the service touching.  Joe and Nicole looked great and then, in what seemed like a blink of an eye, were married!  They went off in a horse and carriage while everyone meandered over the the Brewhouse (across the street from the church, my kind of town planning!).  

The new family
The reception was back at the Lee House.  The food was awesome, company even better and overall, it was just a great party.  We hung out for a while, went to Seville Quarter for about an hour and then called it a night.

Today, we woke up, had brunch and then went to Pensacola beach.  Despite the sunblock, I think I may have gotten a little burned.  When we first got there, we were too cheap for umbrellas but my Dad ponied up (Thanks Dad!) and we had an awesome, relaxing afternoon.  Then we went to the Lee House, showered up and went to the airport. I think we didn’t leave as much time as my brother’s friend would have preferred but everyone made it and now Mechen and I are heading back to San Diego for the work week.

So, that’s the beginning of my September.  I’m a little upset because it’s the last month Mechen and I have together for awhile.  We’re looking at long-distance again while he goes to Newport, RI and New Orleans, LA.  He’ll be back in SD, but probably not until after I PCS.  We’re planning on making it through but I’m really sad that he’s leaving.  I think it won’t set in until after it’s all said and done b/c September is going to be crazy!  I’m going to the Academy meeting in DC, moving to a new place, putting things in storage, cleaning the old place all while still working.    

No comments:

Post a Comment