Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Wrap-Up!

Well, I started this list in 2011 (after finding it on another blog) and I really like continuing the trend of reflecting back on the year.  I like the summary without being too self-consciously deep.  So, here we go...

1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Get engaged, get married, graduate from residency, climb multi-pitch rock climbing routes, run a personal best 10K, win the grand prize in a raffle, traveled to Singapore

2.  Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I couldn't find a specific list but mine tend to focus on work goals and getting/staying fit.  This year, I want to pass my oral boards and match to fellowship.  After eating too many cookies over December, I want to get back to my regular fitness/eating routine (hint: fewer cookies).

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes!  A close friend from college gave birth to her first and a good friend in San Diego gave birth to her second.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?
Japan, Singapore and Canada.  Domestic travel included Hawaii (January and October), Washington/Oregon (July), New York (August), California road trip (August) 

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
With all that happened in 2013, I definitely don't feel like it was a year characterized by any lack.  I look forward to living in Japan with SMS on a full-time basis starting in May 2014.

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 8th: The best day of my life!

April 2nd: Engagement!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting married to the most wonderful man.  He is the best husband and I feel really, really lucky and in love.

9. What was your biggest failure?
None really pop to mind although there's always work to be done towards being a better person.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Tickets back to San Diego to visit SMS.  Our LA trip was particularly awesome.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, travel, savings, superfluous silliness.

13. What did you get really excited about?
My wedding- it was the best day of my life and one of the best parties I had ever been to.  Seriously.  The venue was amazing, the food delicious, the DJ awesome and, most of all, attended by the people I love most in the world (who are also really, really fun!)

14. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Songs from the wedding playlist: Lovely Tonight, Josh Radin; Lay Up Under Me and Love on Top, Beyonce; Get Lucky Daft Punk; Treasure Bruno Mars; Golddigger Kanye/Ray Charles Mix by DJ Johnny Knight (SMS' cousin); Blurred Lines Robin Thicke (before all the controversy really heated up)

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier
– thinner or fatter? I'm going to say heavier, not by much but this time last year, I had just finished my Whole 30 and was pretty rocking.  And as I said above, I recently ate a few too many Christmas cookies!
– richer or poorer? Richer (continuing to save)
16. What's one thing you wish you had done more of?

Meditate.  Really, there are so many studies saying it's good for a person and their brain- I really want to give it a sincere shot.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Same thing as last year- read stupid websites.  I haven't read People or Jezebel yet and I think I'll keep it that way.  Suri's Burn Book is still totally ok though!

18. How did you spend Christmas?
SMS and I were together (yeah!).  We opened presents, Skyped with family, baked a cake and went to a great Christmas get-together at the Weber's.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
Orange is the New Black

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach; Unbroken by Laura Hillibrand

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Songs from my wedding playlist and my Beyonce love affair continues...I even bought her visual album the second day it came out.  She's so clever!

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I really don't see that many movies but I saw the second Hunger Games movie and enjoyed it quite a bit.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
33.  I had to work but SMS was taking me out to dinner.  I went to sleep for a "short nap" and woke up to him asking me why I was asleep.  I had super overslept!  Then we went downtown where we were a little late for our reservations at Oceanaire.  We ordered oysters, had special menus given to us and after a few moments, I realized that it was an elaborate build-up to SMS asking me to marry him!

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
This year was amazing.  SMS being here from the start would have been great but I am so proud of him and his academic pursuits.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Classic with some trendy pieces.  It distresses me that Land's End thinks I'm a good customer but they do have good staples and their Canvas line is actually pretty cute.

26. What kept you sane?
SMS, family, deep breathing, perspective checks, exercising at least a few times a week.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
It wasn't really a life lesson but one of the best moments was walking down the aisle towards SMS on my Dad's arm and feeling the huge swell of love and pride that all my family and friends felt for me.  It was so special and I feel so badly for guys that they don't get a chance to experience that!

Also, I got to see Louis Zamperini speak and that was pretty incredible.  He had a good advice which is always try to learn skills and prepare for everything so that you are prepared when anything happens.  That's paraphrased, but seems pretty solid to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment