Saturday, October 25, 2008

Vacation, part 2

Martha’s Vineyard was awesome! After the Boston daytrip, it was off to the Rhode Island quick ferry preceded by a little bit of totally classy tailgating in the parking lot. The ferry was EMPTY, which was totally different than the last time I was on it, heading to Hil’s wedding.

The Dockside Inn is a nice place in Oak Bluffs that is near everything and fairly inexpensive. We rented bikes and rode everywhere- Edgartown, South Beach, West Tisbury, Vineyard Haven. It was ~50 miles in 2 days on these little beach cruisers. I had so much fun and the weather was unreal. Crystal blue skies, perfect temps- it was awesome.

Also awesome? The fact that I had two lobsters and three lobster rolls in three days. There is a GREAT place in Vineyard Haven called the Net Result where there is amazing seafood at really reasonable prices. It’s not really a restaurant, but there are picnic tables outside so once the order is in, a person just lounges around while pure deliciousness is being prepared.

And if you ever want to go shopping for your island abode, there are insane sales over Columbus Day weekend as all the seasonal shops close down. I didn’t go shopping, but the signs were everywhere. My best purchase, apart from the lobster, was an apple fritter from Back Door Donuts at 11:30 at night. I followed my nose to the back door of a bakery where they sell donuts while baking for the next day. It was still warm and so good!

Then the part I don’t like to talk about, the end of the vacation- boo! We left Martha’s Vineyard, headed back to Newport, then I was off the next day back to SD. Things are going great here. Definitely very busy- I’m on call 10 days out of 14 and I’m working on my grand rounds. But once this crunch is over, it’s on my home for Thanksgiving. And everyone will be there! It’s Christmas in November, hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment