Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fun weekend!

Ok!  My weekend was amazing.  First, I switched up blog addresses which I'm very happy about.  I feel that this one makes a little more sense.  A Portmanteau suitcase is an old suitcase that was divided into two compartments and the word portmanteau is basically a synonym for neologism.  Since I make up/combine words all.the.time, I thought it was a relatively apt name.  Plus, I'll be traveling quite a bit in the next two years so I thought it was a nice transition!

I had my Grands Rounds talk on Friday regarding Medical Therapy in Otosclerosis.  The talk went really well.  The topic was focused and the presentation went well.  Yay and phew!  Friday night, SMS and I celebrated by going out to dinner.  I made reservations at Herringbone in La Jolla. I love that place.  The interior design is incredible- there are a lot of gothic elements with the metal and light fixtures but there are also very textured elements like the strewn ropes, exposed beams and live olive trees.  It is totally awesome.  I think of it as a goth Alice in Wonderland on acid.  I don't know if that's how the designer thinks of it but it seems to fit.

SMS and I split a dozen oysters.  I meant to say 1/2 dozen but what I really meant came out so we got to try each kind.  I'm definitely a fan of West Coast oysters- I love the brininess of them compared to the smoother, butter-y taste of East Coast oysters.  Then, I had the scallops and pork belly entree with a pea puree (yum!) and SMS had a carbonara pizza.  Both dishes were great, although I really liked our friend Erich's reaction when he said to me, "Your dish sounds amazing and your [SMS] dish sounds like a Wednesday night!"

Saturday was a really mellow day.  I took a pilates class, cleaned up my room, took a nap, went for a run and then had dinner at SMS' place.  Then we watched "Yes Man," a movie that was SUPER cute and pretty funny, albeit not the deepest thing I ever saw.  But I would definitely recommend it.

Sunday was rock-climbing extraordinaire day.  SMS, Erich, Angela and I went out to Mission Gorge and hung out/climbed for 7 hours.  Then we went to Burger Lounge.  I had a really nice time even though the routes we tried were pretty tough to near-impossible for me to do at my current skill level.  I really do want to improve but today felt sort of off to me anyway and we went on really tough routes.  While I love doing something together with SMS, especially so healthy and outdoors-y, my competitive side definitely makes it hard to enjoy sometimes because I get so frustrated!  I want to be good and I don't want to "fail" in front of others but it's just the way the sport goes for newbies.  And I know that but sometimes knowing doesn't make it easier.

Anyway, after an awesome day, I went out to dinner with Zen at Starlite.  She had the steak and I had the swordfish.  It had been awhile since I'd seen her and it was great to catch up.  Her husband is at MDA right now and grumpy towards life, which is completely understandable!    Now I'm home, trying to be diligent regarding blog updates and assiduously avoiding the tidying up that my room desperately needs.  Maybe tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment